Position: Director of People
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Type: Full Time
Reports To: VP of Operations and Finance
The Director of People will direct the strategic development, implementation and coordination of policies and programs focused on personnel and compliance to facilitate organizational success. The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of practical and applicable organization processes and structures, combined with human resource expertise. They will be responsible for driving key HR initiatives in areas like talent acquisition, performance management, employee coaching, compensation planning, training and development, rewards & recognition, organizational effectiveness and employee communication. Compensation, compliance, and change management expertise will be critical to the success of this role.
- Working closely with the leadership and management teams in each office to develop a regional recruiting/staffing strategy for key positions delivering qualified candidates on time and in the most cost effective way.
- Provide integral contributions that are aligned with Smart City’s growth concerning employee development, people strategy, and structures.
- Oversee all personnel in the HR department.
- Oversee final decisions for all hiring/termination/coaching/development of personnel in the HR department.
- Ensure appropriate KPIs are in place for recruiting process and hold HR Department accountable for hiring needs, recruitment, interviewing, on-boarding, disciplinary process, performance evaluations, and exits.
- Act as subject matter expert and maintain knowledge and understanding of regulations, laws and industry best practices to ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local employment laws in multiple states.
- Leads company compliance with all existing governmental and labor legal and government reporting requirements including any related to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Department of Labor, worker compensation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and so forth.
- Conduct ongoing training to HR Department to ensure each team member also holds a clear understanding of regulations, laws and industry best practices for compliance purposes.
- Maintain an awareness of employee and personnel management issues.
- Act as escalation path for HR team during difficult human relations inquiries and concerns by recommending creative yet practical solutions.
- Communicate and escalate extreme personnel management issues, inquiries, and concerns to the VP of Operations and Finance to ensure appropriate action is taken according to Smart City policies and processes.
- Model positive leadership practices by coaching and training, setting and monitoring goals and objectives, and providing regular feedback.
- Work with VP of Operations and Finance to conduct quarterly Process Audits across all core functions of the business to evaluate current processes and identify areas to improve efficiency.
- Provide insightful direction, ideas, and coaching to department managers for retention, development and training of their employees to achieve full potential.
- Direct and oversee various programs and activities designed to promote a high level of employee engagement.
- Work closely with the VP of Operations and Finance to execute on operational initiatives across the entire company.
What You Bring To The Team:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- 6-8 years of HR experience including 3-5 years of HR management experience. Preferably in the Tech or Real Estate industries.
- Experience in a start-up is a plus.
- Strong HR functional expertise; knowledgeable on employment law matters, employment legislation, and compliance management.
- Proven experience and success developing managers and HR personnel.
- A highly effective relationship builder and communicator with exceptional verbal/written communication, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Proven success and ability to work with managers to implement programs and solutions to achieve strategic business objectives.
- Comfortable as a "hands-on" manager and willing to roll up your sleeves to get things done while also knowing when to delegate.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills while exercising sound judgement.
- Proven experience handling confidential and sensitive information with the ability to exercise discretion and show good judgment; honesty, integrity, and trust building behaviors in all dealings is essential and required.
- Strong project management skills - ability to handle multiple projects at once and competing priorities.
- Organized, extremely detail oriented and execution focused a must.
Essential: Certification in Professional Human Resources (PHR)
Desired: SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP)
Competitive salary based on candidate qualifications and experience with top benefits package as part of the comprehensive Smart City Perks! plan.