The Finance Team invoices and collects generated revenue by building relationships with property management partners, completes company-wide payroll for employees and independent contractors, and ensures good financial standing for the company.
Position Summary: The Accounts Receivable Specialist is responsible for the collection of Smart City invoices from Core Market properties that have a past due balance below a specific threshold which varies by market. This role works closely with Smart City’s Invoicing Specialists, Account Executives and Finance Relationship Associates to help ensure that all invoices accurately reflect terms, conditions, and responsibilities, while investigating and validating invoices, resolving discrepancies and errors. Nurtures relationships with partners (properties) while working to make any past due balances whole. This role understands that our clients and agents are the fuel that powers growth for the company and executes with the mindset that puts the client and agent first.
- Collections Management:
- Follow up with properties on current and past due invoices.
- Resolve billing discrepancies and design preventative measures using root cause analysis.
- Maintain communication with property management.
- Escalate and resolve past-due invoices, and secure commitment for payment.
- May partner in escalations for payment with the highest levels of leadership.
- At their own discretion, will offer payment plans, discounts, or other negotiation tactics to encourage cash collection of past due invoices.
- Maintain a database of non-paying properties and communicate status with Finance Leadership, Sales Leadership, Marketing Team, and Property Success.
- Market Management:
- Serve as a focal point to resolve issues received including invoicing and billing issues for both properties and sales agents.
- Full ownership of customer inquiries, providing timely customer service support on issues related to billing, status, cancelation, etc.
- Escalates issues in a timely manner to General Manager, Property Success Manager (if applicable in Market) and Sr. Business Operations Manager.
- Provide support and back-up to ensure collection efforts are constant when team members are out of office.
- Be the collections subject matter expert for all assigned accounts.
- Be agile and adjust execution strategies based on current business needs, assist with process review and improvement.
- Create periodical reports of department, team, functional and/or market insights.
- Plan and participate in company promoted events, promote internally and externally as needed.
- Participate in team meetings and collaborative sessions, generate new ideas and execute.
- Assist with efforts in other markets, as needed.
- All other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business, or related field is preferred
- 2+ years of accounts receivable experience
- Experience in basic accounting principles, policies, and procedures including GAAP, accrual, debits/credits, journal entries, and month end close is preferred
Required Skills / Abilities:
- Accounts Receivable Platforms or Modules, such as Invoiced
- Quickbooks or similar Finance Modules or ERP software suite
- Google Workspace (Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Sheets, etc)
- Experience with Excel or Google Sheets is preferred
- Experience using a CRM platform is preferred
- Understanding of Mac OSX and iPhone iOS for business
- Comfortable communicating to director, regional, and VP-level partners
- Thorough understanding of the business model and the life-cycle of our revenues
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Auditing Standards
- Thorough understanding of methods of systems analysis and the principles, design, and procedural methods used in data analysis
- An empathy-driven mindset with the desire to surprise and delight each client
- Strong attention to detail
- Effective time management, project coordination, and ability to meet multiple deadlines
- Strong communication and active listening skills with the ability to handle feedback
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment where they get to try new things
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Comfortable with data entry & cold calling
- Hybrid in-office role and must be located in one of our core markets (Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, or Houston).
- Travel to and touring properties around the city may periodically be required.
- Travel to other markets may periodically be required.
- Assures that safety regulations are followed at all times.
- Adherence to compliance measures implemented by governing bodies such as but not limited to OSHA & the CDC. Follows policies and procedures including infection control, universal precautions, and exposure control plans when performing daily tasks.
- Reports hazardous conditions, accidents, and incidents to the immediate supervisor.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping and crouching.
Expected Hours of Work:
- Typical business hours: 8:30am - 5:30pm Monday - Friday, availability for escalations may be needed outside of normal business hours.
- Up to 10% of the time.
- Minimal travel may be required for business functions, team training, and culture events.
All offers of employment are conditioned upon the candidate’s completion of a Form I-9 and delivery of appropriate documentation to establish the candidate’s identity and legal authorization to work in the United States. This document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the individual occupying this position. This is a representative list of the general duties, and it is not intended to be all-inclusive. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
I have received, reviewed and fully understand the job description. I further understand that I am responsible for the satisfactory execution of the essential functions described herein, under any and all conditions as described. I acknowledge receipt of this job description.
We Take Equality Seriously: Smart City is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and does not discriminate based on race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law, in connection with any aspect of employment at Smart City Locating.